How to Clean Your Dryer Vent in Ottawa
- Posted by admin
- On December 13, 2022
- 0 Comments
- cleaning, dryer vent cleaning, dryer vents, every dryer
Dryer Vent in Ottawa. Dryer fires are a real and very scary hazard, and they most often originate in the metal tube between your dryer and the wall. That’s what you need to clean out.
What is a dryer vent?
When you dry a load of laundry, your wet clothes produce moist, warm air. It’s the job of your dryer vent to direct all that air outside of your home. The system itself is simple. But failing to keep your home’s vent clean and clear of obstructions can have major consequences.
How much does it cost to clean a dryer vent?
Like most home maintenance, general upkeep is cheaper than paying for expensive repairs. To have a professional clean your dryer vent, you’ll likely spend somewhere between $80 and $200. But more complicated vent systems will take longer to clean (and cost more).
How to Clean Out a Dryer Vent
1. Pull the Dryer Out From the Wall, Unplug It, and Disconnect the Duct
Pull the dryer out from the wall. Unplug it, and if it’s a gas dryer, turn off the gas valve as well. Disconnect the dryer duct, which is located in the back of the dryer.
2. Vacuum the Inside of the Vent
Using a hose attachment, turn on your vacuum cleaner, and suction all around the entrance of the vent. Poke it inside the dryer exhaust duct and vacuum out what you can.
3. Find your vent
Before you can clean your dryer vent, you’ll need to figure out where it actually is. Dryers are usually connected to a short, 4-inch diameter exhaust pipe that then connects to ductwork inside a wall. Hot air from your dryer is pushed through this pipe and escapes through a vent on the outside wall of your home.
4. Carefully disconnect your dryer
Once you’ve figured out how your ducts work, you’re ready to unplug your dryer. Once that’s done, remove any metal tape or clamps that attach your dryer vent pipe to its exhaust. Be sure to apply a gentle pressure when pulling the vent pipe from the wall duct, so as not to break the pipe.
How to Clean Your Dryer Vent Safely
- Unplug the dryer or turn off the gas supply.
- Pull the dryer away from the wall.
- Detach the duct, the wide tube that sends the dryer exhaust outside.
- Shake out loose lint and use a vacuum cleaner and tools to remove the remaining lint from the duct
- Vacuum lint from the outside vent.
- Clean the floor around the dryer to get rid of debris.
- Check the dryer duct for any cracks or tears and replace the duct if damaged.
- Carefully reattach the dryer vent with screws, clips, or aluminum tape.
- Return the dryer to its normal position.
- Turn the power supply back on.