How Lint Buildup in Dryer Vents Impacts Performance
- Posted by admin
- On July 21, 2023
- 0 Comments
- dryer vent cleaning, dryer vent cleaning ottawa, high dryer vent cleaning
Most people understand that lint buildup in dryer vents is a fire hazard. However, excess lint can also negatively impact the performance and lifespan of your dryer in significant ways. Over time, accumulated lint restricts airflow, increases drying times and energy costs, and stresses dryer components – making regular professional dryer vent cleaning essential.
How Lint Builds Up in Vents
Lint is made up of tiny fibers that break off fabrics like cotton, fleece and towels during the drying process. With each load of laundry:
- Fibers and particles too small for the dryer’s one trap to catch make it past the trap.
- These particles travel up the vent and adhere to the inside walls.
- Over months and years of regular use, lint gradually accumulates in the entire vent system.
The Problems Caused by Excess Lint
When too much lint builds up in dryer vents, it can:
- Restrict airflow – The more that piles up, the more it blocks the free flow of air into and out of the dryer. This significantly reduces efficiency.
- Increase drying time – With airflow restricted by 30-50%, drying a normal load of laundry can now take up to twice as long.
- Require more energy – The dryer has to run for longer and work harder to dry clothes due to less airflow. This drives up utility bills.
- Stress components – Failing to expel hot, humid air efficiently places strain on the motor, heating element and other parts. They age faster.
- Impact efficiency – The decreased airflow means less heat transfers to wet clothes to evaporate moisture. Overall efficiency drops considerably.
Symptoms of a Lint-Clogged Vent
Several signs indicate your dryer vent needs immediate cleaning:
- Drying takes dramatically longer than normal.
- The dryer runs for an excessively long time on even medium-low heat settings.
- Excessive humidity builds up inside the dryer or surrounding areas.
- You notice an increase in your energy bills.
- The dryer seems to work harder and makes louder noises during operation.
- Visual inspection shows an excessive amount of it in the lint trap.
Professional Dryer Vent Cleaning
The best remedy for the above performance issues is to have your dryer vent professionally cleaned by a specialist. During cleaning, the technician:
- Vacuums out all built-up lint and debris from the entire vent system.
- Inspects all joints, connections, covers and pipes for damage or wear.
- Recommends solutions like vent replacement if necessary to fully resolve this issue.
In summary, while fire safety should be customers’ primary motivation for dryer vent cleaning, performance issues caused by lint buildup also threaten their dryer’s efficiency, lifespan and cost of operation.