Protect your home from unwanted fires
- Posted by Anna
- On April 14, 2023
- 0 Comments
- dryer vent cleaning, dryer vent cleaning ottawa, high dryer vent cleaning
Dryer vent cleaning and maintenance are important for preventing dryer fires in homes. Some key points about dryer vents and fire safety:
• Lint buildup causes dryer fires.
The exhaust from the dryer vents outside collects lint, debris and dust which build up over time and can ignite causing dryer fires. Regular vent cleaning helps preventing fires and excess lint buildup.
• Dryer vents should be cleaned at least once a year.
More frequently, around every 6-12 months, for high-use dryers or if there are signs of lint buildup or clogs in the vents. Clogged vents reduce air flow and increase fire risks.
• Use a professional for vent cleaning.
Attempting to clear a clogged vent yourself could blow debris into the dryer or damage the vent, posing risks of damage or fire. Professionals have the proper equipment, tools and experience to thoroughly and safely clean dryer vents.
• Flexible foil or plastic vents should be replaced.
These vents become damaged or crushed more easily and are more prone to clogs and lint buildup. Metal vents are more durable and reduce risks. Replacing old or damaged vents also helps improve safety and efficiency.
• Make sure vents extend fully outside.
If a vent does not extend outside the home, lint can build up inside due to lack of air flow. The vent must extend completely through walls, roofs or the foundation outside for proper operation and safety. Cutting vents to fit properly and completely extends them outside as required.
• Consider aDryer duct booster fan. An inline fan helps prevent over-drying clothes which produces more lint. It also helps remove lint residue after the drying cycle which does not get fully separated from clothes in the dryer. An inline fan, when used properly, can improve safety by minimizing excess lint in vents and reducing static cling.
• Inspect and clean washer vents too. While washer vents tend to get less clogged than dryers, they should also be inspected and cleaned regularly based on use and any signs of reduced air flow or leaks. Built-up debris can still pose risks in washers vents. Professional vent cleaning services can typically clean both dryer and washer vents during the same service call.
• Consider a power-vented or condensing dryer. Power-vented dryers use a fan to help move air out, reducing clogs while condensing dryers condense water vapors to exhaust air instead of lint. These options require less frequent vent cleaning and pose lower fire risks than standard dryers with constantly running heat and exhaust. They are a good option if proper regular vent maintenance cannot be ensured.
Keep in mind that dryer vent fires can spread quickly and cause extensive damage. Preventing risks through education, properly installed vents, regular maintenance and when needed, upgraded dryers or venting components is well worth the effort. A simple annual or bi-annual professional vent cleaning can help give you peace of mind that your dryer is operating as safely as possible and reduce costly risks of fire.