Problems That Can Arise From Dirty Dryer Vents
- Posted by sarah
- On January 5, 2022
- 0 Comments
- cleaning, dryer vent cleaning, every dryer
Importance of Cleaning Dryer Vents
No homeowner wants to deal with the frustration of damp laundry, especially when it can result in a house fire. By routinely cleaning your dryer vent, you can save yourself from dangerous house fires and costly utility bills. Don’t wait until you start smelling smoke, protect your home and household by cleaning your dryer vent.
Regular dryer vent cleaning can prevent the following problems:
- Damp loads of laundry. A buildup of lint and other debris can prevent your dryer from ventilating air and doing its job. A clogged dryer vent can result not only in soggy laundry, but money and energy wasted on multiple cycles. Cleaning your dryer vent keeps opening a clear passage of air that enables your dryer to function properly.
- Excessive heat or humidity. A dirty dryer vent not only poses a fire hazard, it traps and relocates that excess heat back inside your home. Dryers already produce a lot of heat in order to dry your clothes, having that heat cycle back into your home can create an uncomfortable problem.
- Musty odors. The trapped heat from a dirty dryer vent can also result in musty odors. It’s not just a matter of unpleasant smells, however, as the trapped heat and humidity can turn into mold, which is a serious health risk.
- High utility bills. Just like your air conditioner or furnace, your dryer requires proper ventilation in order to function effectively. When the dryer vent is full of lint, it traps that excess heat into your home and it prevents your dryer from drying your clothes. Your dryer already uses a lot of energy, and both issues end up raising the costs on your utility bill.
- House fires. The worst outcome of all is a house fire. A clogged up dryer vent is much more than a risk to your clothes and wallet. It’s important to remember than lint not only traps heat, it’s flammable. Make sure to keep your dryer vent and all other components clean of lint.
If you suspect your dryer is need of a cleaning, here’s what to look for.
- It takes longer to dry a load.
- Your dryer and clothing are very hot.
- Burning smells.
- Vent hood flap can’t close properly.
Taking care of your dryer, however, involves much more than routinely cleaning the lint trap. Dirty dryer vent is notorious for collecting lint and other debris, and over time it can clog up and cause problems.