The Types of Dryer Vents
- Posted by Anna
- On March 28, 2023
- 0 Comments
- cleaning, dryer fires, dryer vent cleaning, Dryer vent hose, dryer vents, every dryer, safety, signs, vent
The different types of dryer vents remove excess heat generated during the dryer cycle in order to prevent fires. An indoor dryer vent is typically used in spaces without outer wall access. Instead of running through a wall , the dryer vent blows into your laundry room, using a filtration system to capture rogue lint.
The most common types of dryer vents are:
- Flexible vinyl or metal vent pipe: This is standard pipe that connects from the back of the dryer to an exterior vent. It comes in either rigid metal or flexible vinyl. Flexible vinyl is easier to work with but can be more prone to kinks and clogs. Metal duct is sturdier but harder to bend.
- Rigid metal vent pipe: This is an alternative to flexible pipe and is made of sections of rigid metal duct. It holds its shape better but is more difficult to install since it’s not as flexible.
- Exterior vent cap: This is the cap that covers the exterior vent opening outside the home. It prevents cold air from entering the vent pipe while still allowing moisture to escape. The most common types are gravity vents and backdraft dampers.
- Ceiling/wall vents: a ceiling vent can be used to route the vent upwards into the crawlspace and then out of the exterior wall. These vents allow the dryer vent to exit the house in locations where a direct exterior vent is not feasible.